The EOC Nephrology and Dialysis Service at Lugano Regional Hospital places particular emphasis on home treatments.
Manual (CAPD) and automated (APD) peritoneal dialysis are offered, performed at home independently by the patient or assisted (the Hospital provides a specialised nurse for home support), or if necessary at a rest home for elderly patients (a total of about 15 patients are treated with peritoneal dialysis).
Patients on haemodialysis are also offered training so they are able to carry out their treatment by themselves at home.
For patients who require haemodialysis treatment at the Centre, the EOC Nephrology and Dialysis Service in Lugano EOC has one of the largest dialysis centres in Switzerland, treating about 100 patients continuously and performing about 15,000 treatments per year. The all-round skills and latest-generation technology enable a “made-to-measure” treatment process to be created for the patient.
Attentive to the quality of life of elderly patients too, the Services manages with its own medical and nursing team a dialysis centre at a rest home (Casa Serena), in collaboration with the Lugano social institutions.
A feature of the Lugano Nephrology Service is that it has its own ward with 14 beds, managed by nephrologist doctors and specialised nursing staff, who are able to deal with acute problems in patients on 24/24 peritoneal dialysis. The nephrology staff also take care of their patients, on a 24-hour basis, if they go to the Hospital’s Emergency Department.
Kidney function replacement techniques
If there are no contraindications, kidney transplant is the preferred option (usually in collaboration with Zurich University Hospital) where possible (living organ donation from a person with a long-term relationship), also to avoid dialysis.
If dialysis is necessary, the following treatment options are possible:
- Manual (CAPD) and automated (APD) peritoneal dialysis, independent or assisted (by a specialised nurse)
- Independent home dialysis
- In Hospital (for various conditions):
- Online haemodiafiltration
- Single-needle haemodialysis
- Haemodialysis with extra-corporeal anticoagulation with citrate
- Haemodialysis with HCO filters
- Emergency haemodialysis
- Continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration in the Intensive Care Department
At home for elderly patients:
- Online haemodiafiltration (Casa Serena Lugano)
- Peritoneal dialysis (at various retirement homes)
We take great care over monitoring and looking after the fistula and catheters. Puncture technique: “traditional” or “buttonhole”.
The hospital has available 24/24 a team of angiologists, vascular surgeons and interventional radiologists to make and ensure maintenance of the vascular access and peritoneal access.
Diagnostic and therapeutic nephrological services
- Definitive diagnosis and treatment of arterial hypertension
- Definitive diagnosis and treatment of kidney diseases, including biopsy
- Definitive diagnosis and treatment of electrolyte and acid-base metabolic disorders
- Definitive diagnosis and prevention of kidney stones
- Assessment of patients with severe kidney failure and preparation for kidney transplant or dialysis therapy
- Consultation with a nurse on the choice of dialysis method (peritoneal dialysis/haemodialysis at the centre or at home)
- Care of post-kidney transplant patients
- 24/24 h care by their own doctors of patients with acute nephrological or internal problems in the Emergency Department
- Admission to the Nephrology Department of patients who require stationary treatment; they are attended to by the same doctors who are familiar with their clinical background from their outpatients or dialysis therapy.